The Travers Trophy is the Man o ‘War Cup. Named after Man o’War, winner of the Travers Stakes in 1920 who went on to beat Sir Barton, the first winner of the American Triple Crown. It was fashioned by Tiffany & Co. The cup was donated to Saratoga Race Course by Mrs. Sam (Elizabeth) Riddle in 1936 to become the permanent Travers trophy. A gold replica of the cup is presented to the winner of the Travers each year.
This year marks the 150th Running of the Travers Stakes – America’s oldest grade 1 stakes race for three-year-old thoroughbreds. To us, nothing better symbolizes the Travers and its history than this historic cup.