Beautiful reverse-painted glass horses, with odds box on top. The face of the wheel is covered with chipped glass in an ornamental design, picturing ten race horses from the 1920-30s. Bet on a horse, spin the wheel, and the odds determine what is paid out if the bettor picked the right number. The imposing five-foot diameter wheel has been expertly restored, standing 93 inches tall, and is circa 1930’s. Made in Chicago and likely used in Saratoga Springs somewhere!
A little history on each horse on the wheel:
- Gallant Knight-Born 1927, Ran 39 Races (18-6-4)second in 1930 KENTUCKY derby to gallant FOX
- Jim Dandy– Born 1927, ran 141 races (7-6-8) beat Gallant fox in the 1930 Travers Stakes with 100-1 odds
- Whiskery– Born 1924, ran 70 races (14-16-8) owned by Harry Payne Whitney had a great 3 year old season
- Lady Broadcast– Born 1926, ran 70 races (22-12-5) 1930 Champion Handicap Mare
- “Blue” Larkspur– Born 1926, Ran 16 Races (10-3-1) Favored for 1929 derby, came in 4th, improperly shod
- Morvich– Born 1919, ran 16 races (12-2-1) 1922 Kentucky derby winner, first California bred to win, was undefeated going into the derby, never won again
- Reigh Count– born 1925, ran 27 races (12-4-0) set record in the Saratoga cup, father of count fleet
- Gallant Fox– Born 1927, Ran 17 races (11-3-2) second triple CROWN winner, sired Omaha (another triple CROWN winner)
- Zev– Born 1920, ran 43 races (23-8-5) $100,000 match race with papyrus, won the Kentucky DERBY & Preakness in 1923
- Misstep– born 1925, ran 54 races (21-12-4) daughter of upset (and St. Theresa) second in 1928 Kentucky derby
THIS ITEM MUST BE PICKED UP! IT DOES NOT SHIP.